Friday, July 29, 2011

Rocket Raccoon = My New Hero

Sometimes you just have to buy a comic because of the cover.
RR and Groot on a recent issue of The Annihilators
Nevermind the fact that I currently don't read this series and couldn't care about the other characters. It has a picture of a ray-gun wielding anthropomorphic raccoon on the front, with rocket ships and some sort of wooden dude in the background.

$3.99? Sold--I can't get my debit card out fast enough.

Image: OHotMU
I vaguely remember reading about Rocket Raccoon in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (OHotMU) series from the late 80s. I thought he was a little childish then. I was into Star Wars and Avengers comics, so I couldn't be bothered with "kiddie" comics.

Part of my prejudice may be blamed on Howard the Duck. Not the laudable comic book, but the dismal movie that was relegated to cinematic shovelware as soon as it hit theaters. I'm not gonna lie, I looked at the raccoon and saw a man in a duck costume. 

Was I ever wrong. RR is about as pulpy-adventure as it gets. The  latest Annihilators issue (pictured above) has a solo adventure that's not to be missed.
"WHO SAYS I DIG THROUGH TRASH? 
Rocket's comeback is now in full swing. At San Diego Comic Con, Hasbro revealed that they're giving the lil' guy an action figure--which is like saying "you are now worthy to be duplicated thousands of times and lost in playground sandboxes all over the country". And really, that's something special.

In any case, RR is okay in my book.







Props to Cool Toy Review for taking great photos ad SDCC '11.

3 comments:

  1. http://greenskeletongamingguild.blogspot.com/2010/01/rocket-raccoon-for-x-plorers-rpg.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that's awesome! Thanks Bill--that's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocket is one of my favourite Marvel characters. I was hooked right from the start of his original series back in the 80's, and I'm so pleased that he's back. I wrote about the character here, and I'm all over that action figure when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete